Whole Wheat Blueberry Lemon Tea Loaf
- 1.5 cups (200 g) All purpose whole wheat flour
- 1.5 tsp (7.5 ml) Baking powder
- 1.5 tsp (7.5 ml Baking soda
- ¼ tsp (pinch) Salt
- 1.75 cups (275 g) B.C. blueberries - fresh or frozen, divided in half (mix 1 tbsp of the flour mixture in with the blueberries)
- 3/4 cup (150 g) Brown sugar, lightly packed
- ½ cup (120 g) Unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 (100 g) Large eggs (room temperature)
- ½ cup (120 ml) Plain 3% yogurt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Lemon zest (approximately the zest from 1 large lemon)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Lemon juice - fresh
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F/ 160°C
2. Butter a 9” x 5” x 2.5” non-stick loaf pan.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl, mix and set aside.
4. Mix 1 tbsp of the flour mixture in with the blueberries until coated, set aside. (If the blueberries are too dry to coat, then add ½ tsp. of lemon juice so the flour adheres to them.) *This is to stop the blueberries from sinking to bottom of loaf.
5. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 1 minute.
6. Beat the eggs in one at a time.
7. On low speed, alternately mix in the flour mixture, yogurt, lemon zest and juice in three intervals.
8. Gently fold in half the amount of blueberries.
9. Pour into the greased loaf pan.
10. Top with the remaining blueberries.
11. Bake in the middle rack of a pre-heated 350°F/160°C oven for 45-55 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
12. Cool in the loaf pan for a minimum of 30 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack.