Vegan Blueberry Lemon Galette
For 6 mini galettes
- 2 cups, spelt, all purpose, quinoa or oat flour.
- Pinch pink or sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 12 tbsp vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 4-8 tbsp very chilled water, depending on flour used
- 2 cups frozen BC blueberries
- Juice from ½ a lemon (Add ¼ first and adjust)
- 1 – 1 ½ tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 – 1 ½ tsp arrowroot powder
- Thyme for garnish
- Vegan Ice cream – simple vanilla or your favourite flavour or extra BC blueberries
- Start to preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and prep 1 - 2 large baking sheets. Line them with parchment paper as well.
- Then, to a large mixing bowl, add in your dry pastry ingredients- flour, cinnamon and salt. Then, with a potato masher or fork, start to add in and cut butter into the dry mixture until uniformly blended.
- If too firm to mix in, add chilled water small bit by bit and stir until you can use all dough from sides of the bowl. The mixture should be doughy and not loose and runny. If you add too much water, add some more flour.
- Now, on a clear, flat surface, sprinkle flour. Get your hands a little floured up as well and start gently dividing dough from the bowl into 6 balls and place on your floured “station”.
- Then, take one dough ball and adding more flour when required, use a floured rolling pin to roll out the dough into a circle. It doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Now, carefully transfer the flattened dough on to the baking sheet. Repeat step 6 + 7 for rest of the dough balls.
- For the blueberries, add them to a bowl and toss with coconut sugar, ¼ lemon juice and arrowroot powder. Taste and adjust, then add berries among the pies, placing in the center of the dough. Make sure not to fill up all the flat area.
- Leaving enough space to fold the remaining dough, fold the crust edges over the blueberries and keep overlapping them as you go.
- Try to seal when you overlap, as the blueberry mixture can leak through cracks while baking.
- Lightly brush these galettes with a tiny amount of vegan butter and sprinkle with coconut sugar. This helps creating a golden brown crust.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbly. A trick is to broil for the last 2 – 3 minutes (depending on your oven) for a delicious golden crust.
- Once done, let the galettes cool for a few minutes. Then serve when still warm, with a scoop of vegan ice cream.