- About the BC Blueberry Council
- Market Development
- International Markets
The BC Blueberry Council works tirelessly to increase BC blueberries’ market share abroad, especially in some of our key markets of interest (e.g. Japan, China, India, Vietnam). The Council works closely with our government officials and locals on the ground to maximize opportunities.
The road to expanding markets has been challenging for BC blueberries. The mere production of blueberries is increasing at an exponential rate globally, with higher rates each year. The higher the volume of blueberries in the market, the greater the competition.
Moreover, protectionist rhetoric, lack of universal standards on Maximum Residue Levels, and tariffs are big hurdles for our industry to cross. With growth, there are pains and opportunities. The Council is steadfast in making sure our growers' interests remain at the forefront of any trade deal negotiated by our government.
There has been no better time to take it up a notch in producing the best blueberries. Consumers are looking for the ‘best product at a good price’ and BC can deliver!
Please see below for an overview of our promotional activities abroad:
Please click here to view interactive and exciting introductions from our promotional teams abroad.
- Our team in China is promoting blueberries across Hong Kong and Mainland China social media and news sites.
- Our Japan team Witan Associates paired up with food designer Izumi Suga, who created Japanese-Canadian fusion recipes featuring BC blueberries (frozen). Please see the BC Blueberries Japan webpage here.
- We are registered for the upcoming FoodEx in Tokyo, Japan from March 8th-11th, 2022. Our in-market representatives will be in attendance.
- BC Blueberries branded IQF packaging has been developed in partnership with fruit distribution company Erum Food Systems and is being marketed in supermarkets and department stores.
- We are excited to celebrate the 0% tariff rate for frozen blueberries into South Korea for 2022. We are in contact with the BC Trade Office in Korea to participate in upcoming events.
- Our representatives from Latitude New Zealand will promote blueberries at local trade shows and on social media (in partnership with local influencers).
- From November 18-21,2020 our representatives in potential new market Vietnam will be attended Vietnam FoodExpo on our behalf to promote blueberry consumption. We have commissioned Galaxy Marketing in Vietnam to do this work for us. See their page here.
- We have continued our partnership with Berrika India and Anusaya Fresh Pvt. Ltd. who are undertaking multi-media promotional efforts and e-commerce initiatives
- Given the situation under COVID, we will continue to engage with the Trade Commissioner’s office in New Delhi and Mumbai, who will keep us updated on opportunities to participate in trade shows and events