Celebrate BC’s Bounty with BC Blueberries and BC VQA Wines
BC Blueberry Council and Wines of British Columbia combine efforts for delicious results
In a celebration of BC’s agricultural bounty, the BC Blueberry Council has teamed up with Wines of British Columbia to showcase a carefully curated selection of BC blueberry recipes paired with BC wines.
The campaign which will run during February and March of 2023, aims to champion local BC blueberries and BC wine. A highlight of the campaign is the star turn by award winning cookbook author Jennifer Schell, who has prepared a special BC blueberry dessert from frozen BC blueberries with the perfect BC VQA wine pairing.
You can watch Schell in action preparing the recipe and pairing it with BC dessert wines by clicking the play button below, or go straight to the recipe – BC Blueberry Limoncello Tiramisu.
BC Blueberry and Wine Pairings
To demonstrate how BC Blueberries and BC wine are made for each other, Schell has paired BC wines with a variety of recipes using both fresh and frozen BC blueberries. From BC blueberry dessert offerings to main courses, salads, and appetizers, Schell demonstrates that there is a BC blueberry and BC wine pairing for everybody.
For dessert wine lovers, there is the blueberry limoncello tiramisu pairing. Dreaming of that first spring BBQ? BC blueberry turkey burgers paired with a juicy and fruit forward Pinot Noir are just the ticket. Having friends over for a mid-week pick-me-up? Pork tacos with blueberry pineapple salsa, paired with a Chardonnay with tropical fruit notes and great acidity, offer a fun pairing designed for easy hosting.
For more BC blueberry recipes, and accompanying wine pairing notes by Jennifer Schell, visit Wines of BC’s Perfect Pairings page.
Most of the recipes featured make use of frozen BC blueberries, readily accessible in freezer aisles of local retailers year-round, making these ideal for winter entertaining. To ensure you have BC Blueberries, look on packages for the words ‘Product of Canada’ and the words ‘highbush’ or ‘cultivated’.
The Perfect Partnership
“We have so much in common with our friends in the wine industry, with hundreds of farmers and growers that produce delicious, versatile, and innovative BC products,” says Clara Moran, Marketing and PR Manager at the BC Blueberry Council. “We are delighted to collaborate on delectable pairings with Wines of British Columbia to encourage people to champion local produce, home-grown goods, and our local communities.”
“Wines of British Columbia is thrilled to partner with BC Blueberries to produce a series of recipes that bring two of BC’s agricultural treasures together. Culinary dishes featuring the vibrant flavours of BC blueberries elevate the natural fresh acidity found in BC wines, making for lots of potential pairing combinations,” adds Kim Barnes, Marketing Director, Wine Growers British Columbia. “BC residents value living in such a bountiful province and pairing local with local is the best way to celebrate that.”
Quick BC Blueberry Facts
BC blueberries, both fresh and frozen, offer a host of health benefits. They also play a major role in the health of the provincial economy.
- There are more than 600 growers of premium quality highbush blueberries located in some of Canada’s richest and most fertile farmland in BC.
- With more than 11,000 hectares (26,000 acres), British Columbia blueberry country is one of the largest highbush blueberry growing regions in the world.
- BC blueberries are the top small fruit export product in Canada.
- British Columbia’s blueberry industry employs more than 10,000 people on-farm, packing and processing facilities.
- BC produces an average of about 73,000,000 kilograms (160,937,451 lbs) of blueberries each year, about 70 per cent of which are exported.
- Fresh vs. Frozen: Frozen BC blueberries are available year-round and have all the same nutritional benefits as fresh blueberries.
- Be sure you have BC Blueberries by checking packages for ‘Product of Canada’ and the words ‘high bush’ or ‘cultivated’. For more guidelines on where to buy frozen BC blueberries, visit the BC Blueberries 'Where to Buy' page.
Enter the BC Blueberries x Wines of BC Contest
British Columbians can enter to win a Wines of BC & BC Blueberries gift basket (retail value of prize will not exceed $450). The contest launches on Instagram on March 1, 2023. Follow @winesofbc and @bcblueberries for updates on how and when to enter.
Connect with BC Blueberries
• Follow on Instagram @bcblueberries or with #GoBlueBC #BCBlueberries
• Like & Follow on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BCBlueberries
• Follow on Pinterest https://www.pinterest.ca/bcblueberries/
• Subscribe on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@bcblueberrycouncil3617