Black Bean Veggie Burgers with Blueberries
- 1 cup (175 g) Cooked short grain brown rice, cooled
- ⅓ cup (50 g) Raw sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup (40 g) Rolled oats
- 1 cup (125 g) Black beans, cooked or canned and drained
- 1 cup (80 g) Sweet potato or carrot, grated
- ¼ cup (25 g) Green onion, chopped
- ¼ cup (15 g) Parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) Lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Ginger, grated, or ½ tsp dry
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Curry powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Paprika or cayenne powder, mild or hot
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Garlic powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Salt
- ¾ cup (110 g) BC Blueberries, fresh or frozen, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) All purpose flour or rice flour
- 4 Tbsp (60 ml) Vegetable oil
- Soak the sunflower seeds in warm water for 30 minutes.
- In a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, blend the oats until finely ground.
- Drain the sunflower seeds, add to the oats and pulse until ground.
- Add the beans, sweet potato (or carrot), green onion, parsley, lime juice, ginger, spices and salt, and pulse until crumbly.
- Transfer to a large bowl, add rice, blueberries and flour and gently mix together.
- Form into 6 firm patties and refrigerate covered for 30 minutes to set.
- In a sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and fry the patties in batches until browned and crispy on each side.
- Serve on a bun with desired garnishes.
For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free oats, and rice flour.