Layered Blueberry Hazelnut Cheese Wheel
- 5” round (350 g) Brie, Camembert or any soft rind cheese
- 1½ cups (225 g) B.C blueberries - fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup (60 ml) red wine
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp (30 g) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon zest
- 2 tsp (10 ml) lemon juice
- ¼ tsp (pinch) black pepper
- 1/8 tsp (pinch) salt
- Sprig fresh rosemary
- ½ cup (75 g) hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
1. Cut the cheese round in half horizontally. Place bottom half, cut side up on a serving platter. Set aside at room temperature with the top half of cheese.
2. In a saucepan, bring the blueberries, red wine, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, pepper and salt to a boil.
3. Simmer uncovered on a medium heat for approximately 20-30 minutes, until reduced to a thick compote.
4. Add the whole rosemary sprig in the last 2 minutes of cooking, then remove.
5. Spoon half the hot compote over the bottom half of cheese. Cover with the top half of cheese (cut side down) and top with remaining compote and hazelnuts.
6. Serve with fresh fruit and crackers.
Yields 1 wheel with 3 cups of compote
© 2009 BC Blueberry Council
275 - 32160 South Fraser Way, Abbotsford, BC V2T 1W5
Tel: 604 864 2117 Fax: 604 864 2197 Email:email@example.com