Plan Your Father’s Day BBQ with BC Blueberries
Get ready for Father’s Day and the first day of Summer with these BC Blueberry BBQ recipes
Father’s Day BC Blueberry BBQ Recipes
Why are Dads always the hardest to shop for? Instead of trying to find something at the store, plan an outdoor BBQ for Father’s Day. If there’s one thing all Dads love…it’s definitely food!
It just so happens that this Father’s Day (June 20th, 2021) also marks the first official day of summer. Dust off your BBQ’s and celebrate Dad with these BC Blueberry recipes, perfect for summertime al fresco dining. From burgers, to BBQ sauce, to refreshing cocktails, these recipes are sure to put a smile on Dad’s face.
If you decide to make one of the following BC Blueberry BBQ recipes, post your creations on your socials and tag @bcblueberries for a chance to be featured on the BC Blueberries Instagram page.
BC Blueberry Turkey Burgers
Yields: 4 burgers
No BBQ is complete without a burger on the grill. If your Dad is a burger fan, make these lean turkey burgers, packed with an extra punch of frozen BC Blueberries.
- 1 lb (450 g) Lean ground turkey
- ¾ cup (115 g) Frozen BC Blueberries, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup (30 g) Green onion, chopped
- 1 Large egg
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Fresh parsley, chopped or 2 tsp dry
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Fresh thyme, chopped or 1 tsp dry
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Garlic, finely minced or dry
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Paprika, mild or hot
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Black pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Breadcrumbs or ground flax seeds (if needed)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Barbecue sauce (substitute homemade BC Blueberry BBQ sauce for an extra blueberry kick)
- 4 Whole grain burger buns
- Pre-heat a heavy bottom pan or barbecue to 350°F/175°C.
- In a bowl, mix all the burger ingredients and form four ¾” thick patties. If mixture appears too wet, add breadcrumbs or flax. Keep refrigerated until ready to cook.
- Grease the grill with an oiled paper towel or heat the oil in the pan.
- Place patties on the pre-heated grill plate, BBQ, or in a pan, and sear on medium-high heat, cooking for approximately 5-7 minutes until browned. Carefully flip over, reduce the heat to medium-low and finish cooking for another 5-7 minutes until internal temperature reaches 165°F/75°C.
- Brush with barbecue sauce and serve on buns with condiments as desired.
BC Blueberry BBQ Sauce
Yields: 2 cups
The perfect condiment for a grilled burger has to be BBQ sauce! If you’re already making the BC Blueberry Turkey Burgers, consider adding the BC Blueberry BBQ Sauce to complete the meal.
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (40 g) Shallots or white onion, finely minced
- 1 tbsp (10 g) Fresh garlic (approx. 3 cloves), minced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Salt
- 3 cups (450 g) Frozen BC Blueberries
- ¾ cup (135 g) Brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup (120 ml) Tomato ketchup
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Honey
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Smoked paprika powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Dry mustard powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Hot chili flakes or powder
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Lemon juice-fresh
- In a large saucepan, sauté the shallots and garlic in the vegetable oil over a low heat, until golden brown, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients except the lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then continue to simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until mixture is thickened and reduced, approximately 50-60 minutes.
- Add in the lemon juice and cool mixture.
- Puree in a blender until smooth.
BC Blueberry Margarita with Cucumber Basil
Yields: 4 x 8oz glasses
The only thing missing from this Father’s Day BBQ lineup is a refreshing summertime cocktail. The BC Blueberry Margarita with Cucumber & Basil is cool, quick to prepare, and screams SUMMER!
2 tsp (10 mL) Fine sea salt
1 Lime wedge
2 cups (500 mL) Ice
2 cups (500 mL) Frozen BC Blueberries
1/2 cup (125 mL) Tequila
1/3 cup (80 mL) Pineapple juice
1/4 cup (60 mL) Fresh lime juice
1/4 cup (60 mL) Fresh basil, chopped
3 tbsp (45 mL) Triple Sec
2 tbsp (30 mL) Frozen BC Blueberries
4 Cucumber slices
4 Basil leaves
- Place salt in a shallow dish. Using lime wedge, moisten the rim of four glasses, then dip them in salt and set aside.
- Starting with the ice, put all the ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until relatively smooth.
- Garnish with blueberries, cucumber slices, and basil. Enjoy!
Share your Father’s Day BC Blueberry BBQ creations by posting on your socials and tagging @bcblueberries.